My Apologies


How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?  —Dr. Seuss


     This is just a small announcement concerning this blog. No, I don’t intend to stop writing on it. BUT, as you may have noticed, new content has become more sporadic over the past year or two, in fact ever since I stopped being a monk and, also, a member of the leisure class. Now I have to pay bills, work for a living, interact with other humans to a higher degree (including my sweetheart)—and I also have increased my video content, thereby allowing me less time and energy to write.

     Beyond this, the time and effort dedicated to navigating Samsara in a reasonably responsible way, as a householder, have allowed me less time to philosophize. It’s no wonder that philosophers tend to be renunciants or else members of an aristocracy that are not required to work for a living.

     So I have the choice of writing less often for this blog, or to hastily slap together something in order to maintain my routine of posting something at least once every weekend. So, as you may have perceived, I have chosen to write somewhat less for this blog. Better quality than quantity, I suppose. On the other hand, I am uploading content on YouTube and Bitchute at least once a week now, with most of it being Buddhist Question and Answer videos, interviews (including people other than my friend Brian Ruhe), and discussions of Buddhism and Buddhist texts. 

     I sincerely apologize for the decrease in written content, and the decrease in careful thought and planning that go into what I’ve been writing lately, as of course I no longer sit around all day in a cave or meditation cabin, thinking about what to write.

     Anyway, by way of an update on my lay life, as opposed to the life of this here blog, I do hereby announce, for those of you who don’t watch my Q&A videos, that last month I proposed marriage to my sweetheart, she said “Of course,” and we are now engaged. Also, yesterday I wrote a letter of resignation to my current employer, as I was offered a job doing pretty much the same work at a different sheet metal shop but paying much better. So I’ll still be working at a sheet metal shop, but making better money and having more paid time off, so maybe I’ll be able to take the time to edit books, or write more involved blog posts, or something.

     Aside from dedicating more time and energy (both physical and mental) to making a living and all the other things laypeople are required to do, my life has been relatively happy and fortunate. Also I finally have grown a beard (when I was younger I always thought I could never grow a good one), and have healthier skin than I had as a monk, though thirty years of sitting for hours a day in the full lotus seem to have weakened my lower joints somewhat. I hobble and limp around sometimes now, which was not the case when I was a monk unless I happened to be experiencing a bout of gout at the time. I’m getting old. To this day I have no regrets over submitting my resignation to the Bhikkhu Sangha.

     And so, worry not, I am not ending this blog, though as a layman with bills to pay I have to practice a kind of “time triage” and do what appears to be most urgent, with, I have to admit, plenty of time for rest and relaxation. And who knows, maybe someday I’ll edit, and maybe even write, a few more books. Be happy.

     


Comments

  1. Are you sure she said "of course" and not "in due course"? You know, you getting older, you may have misheard... It's a joke. For me I like spoken word better so don't worry. Metta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations David! That makes me happy for you. Bodhisatta969

    ReplyDelete
  3. call me curious. i saw your youtube video this morning. and thought buddhism.. hmm. so i checked it out. well my heart doctor is indian (and that's about all i know about her). my father was a sheet metal worker (owned a shop in a small town) so i grew up in his shop doing the little chores he thought i could do without killing myself. i am old and you are not, but ive had gout and it's very painful, difficult to manage and not fun at all. I cut out bad meat (sausages, liver, most all red meat, anything heavily salted, etc. I drank and still do drink lots of water, i pretty much have changed my diet completely. l attempted to eat only non-processed food, uncooked food, fruits, yogurt, nuts, no alcohol, etc. I was sort of like the buddha; lived the high life at in expensive restaurants, enjoyed the fruits of my success, and now late in life i have tried to simplify all parts of life. Not always successful, but very definitely different. my lotus position was a desktop computer, with the latest and greatest i could afford, a Staples ergenomic chair, and bad lighting. surprisingly I transformed into the buddha. Well, at least my tummy did. My legs became skinny and weak. over the last 12 or so years i have taken steps to last longer as a living, productive(?) human. Im not looking for enlightment or a way or anything that involves faith. doctor proscribed steroids was the best thing for my gout, (and change of diet). Exercise was the best thing for my tummy and overall physical health (and change of diet). I think the majority of americans have taken a wrong path personally. It's a very easy path. if you like it and it tastes good eat it. sort of like that old 70s mantra, if it feels good do it. This path will allow you to always be right and that is a problem. Overall, my life has been great (not even close to perfect) but i did what i dreamed of doing at age 18. Im sure I hurt others along the way but don't think i killed anyone along the way. im not sure why i stopped on this site. it may have been because of your tee shirt. I felt something odd or different about it. the flag and encrypted message below, the i didn't vote in south carolina sticker. and the odd feeling of trumpism that seemed in the air. buddha and trump seemed like a very odd couple. Oh, and you as the buddha yelling at the dogs (an angry buddha). thank you if you ever read this and now i will peruse others posts on this blog just to try and see why people do or call themselves buddhists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, the burning monk, the kid on the bike who didn't die and the politically incorrect buddhist, i think those were the real reasons i became interested in you blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, I am now moderating comments, so there will probably be a short delay after a comment is submitted before it is published, if it is published. This does have the advantage, though, that I will notice any new comments to old posts. Comments are welcome, but no spam, please. (Spam may include ANY anonymous comment which has nothing specifically to do with the content of the post.)

Translate

Most Clicked On