Stretched Too Thin


     Well you see, it’s like this: For most of the existence of this blog I was a monk, and thus I was more or less a member of the leisure class. A year ago and more a “busy” day for me might involve sitting through a Buddhist ceremony or going to the home of a Burmese family in California to do some chanting, sit through a sermon, and be fed a meal. The schedule rarely consumed an entire day, and my “busyness” was not exactly exhausting. Consequently I had enough leisure time that I usually had several blog posts written in advance, so that if too many distractions came up or I just was going through a phase of low inspiration I could fall back on the cache of already written posts.

     Then, for reasons discussed in earlier installments of this here blog, I left the monkhood last spring, which resulted in distractions aplenty, and then I got a full time job to pay the bills and buy my sweetheart pretty things. The job involves a fair amount of strenuous manual labor, which I do like…but the result is that I often come home tired. Weekdays are usually not the best for writing, because I am working during the day and tired in the evening, with other things that have to be done too, like washing clothes and dishes, preparing meals, and so on. So for the past several months I have written the week’s blog post on the weekend, usually on Sunday. With no backup cache of already written posts.

     That method has been working fairly well (and when I first started writing my first blog around ten years ago I used the same method), until this weekend, because I am fairly sick. I started feeling chilled and feverish on Friday, and yesterday just trying to read was triggering bouts of nausea like motion sickness. So with my sincere apologies, this is all you get by way of a blog post this week. Even getting together video links from the past few months, or getting together another pictorial collection of unclothed female meditators, would be pushing me to the limit, and I need to rest and take it easy.

     I think I may have come down with a dose of the omicron (the Xi variant), which although unpleasant is evidently not threatening to my life or vital organs. Thus far I’ve mainly just had a fever and feel like crap. After two days the fever is abating, though even writing this much is rather a workout. I suppose it’s better to get omicron now, which is relatively mild as variants of the ‘rona go, so that I will have better resistance to any of the worse ones, including the upcoming alpha and omega zombie variant.

     At least I got sick at a convenient time, considering that we are snowed in and expecting an ice storm tonight, so that I may not even have to call in sick tomorrow. People in South Carolina are bad drivers anyway (for example about half of them don’t use turn signals), and ice on the roads pretty much shuts everything down. No work tomorrow for me anyway.

     With regard to the ‘rona, I advise you to keep your health and immune system as up to spec as you can, wash your hands a lot, and don’t touch the moist places on your face. So long as you are relatively healthy to begin with, the current strain of the virus is probably less dangerous to you than the shot, and the shot after that, and the shot after that.

     I trust I’ll be back on track next weekend. Be well.


     AFTERMATH: THE FUCKERY CONTINUES

     All right, what happened is this. By the time I finished writing the above post in a state of semi-nausea the snowfall here in SC was sufficient to knock out our Internet for more than 24 hours. It just came back on, and so I finally post this sketchy and abbreviated post. Be happy.

     


South Carolina usually doesn't look like this



...and I sincerely hope this isn't coming up next


Comments

  1. Welcome back to non-monastic life. As an Australia Prime minister once said, "Life isn't meant to be easy!" Which leads some of us to seek out better ways of dealing with it, such as practising Vipassana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might not have heard about the fruits of a renouncers life..., good householder. Yet some didn't, don't know, see, the burdens un-escape-able in the world, while doing "Vipassana" to no-ease easier.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, I am now moderating comments, so there will probably be a short delay after a comment is submitted before it is published, if it is published. This does have the advantage, though, that I will notice any new comments to old posts. Comments are welcome, but no spam, please. (Spam may include ANY anonymous comment which has nothing specifically to do with the content of the post.)

Translate

Most Clicked On